Roasted butternut squash has a gorgeous honey-yellow hue that comes through beautifully in this elegant soup.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 8 (6- by 2-inch) roasted butternut squash wedges, skin removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Garnish: parsley leaves
- Heat the butter in a medium heavy pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and squash and bring to a boil. Boil soup 10 minutes, then puree in a blender in batches until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with parsley.